Like most things farmy, they tend to be...what word do I use...beefy. Not in the sense that every farm is a cattle ranch, but the hogs are big, the chickens are big, the people are big. Thus was my visit to the Ashland County Fair.
What a little piece of Americana this was. People had their little exhibits of best vegetables, tallest sunflower stalk, you name it (well, actually don't name it), just trust me, there was a lot of stuff.
The people! Oh, the people were beefy as well. One woman, who is a relative of Charlie's gave one word to describe it as "butt crack". Actually that is two words, but I give her some leeway there, because she was right on the money. There was the great cornucopia of humanity there that is only evident in Ohio. And maybe Indiana. Large people, little people, kids screaming all over the place. Made the Popcorn Festival blush in shame. Oddly, no people of color, but then again, I don't think that there are many black people who call Ashland and its environs home. I could be wrong.
It was goatee city. Seems this fashion trend among men just got to Ashland and the guys there are embracing it like it was Monday Night Football. Some pull it off, others....not so much. It still amazes me that for many married or dating couples, that a dude who is not bad looking, still considered "a catch" lugs around this behemoth woman who spit out his children. Fortunately, my little sister has not been fully integrated into this tradition, as honestly, and I know she is my sister, but she looked great. Skinny great. Good for you, Suzann!
Oh look! A hay sculpture. And notice the fat ass people that wouldn't move out the of the fucking way so I could take a picture.
Another hay sculpture. A teddy bear, I think. And another fat ass.
A Blue Ribbon Winner! For best placement of peppers on a Styrofoam plate.
And another winner! For salad tomatoes. Really? Oh for God's sake,.
Tallest Dead Sunflower Plant
And what fair would be complete without the largest squash.








love you jim!
ReplyDeletethats what im talk'n about!!
ReplyDelete